31 July 2009

Rain Crushing

I'm not going busking today because it's PISSING rain. This storm is nuts! It's raining like I haven't seen in a long time, with thunder that lasts a full 20 seconds and blindingly bright lightning. Cleansing the dirty streets of Helsinki...

Since I'm not busking, I don't have much to update on, though I did stop by and meet that dude who ordered the poem a few days back. He said he was at Crush Cocktail and Lounge Bar, across from Tavastia, where I'll be seeing A Place To Bury Strangers play tonight.

When I got there, he came out to meet me. "Man, I've been here since 10 a.m.," he said.

"Oh? Do you work here?" I asked.

"Well, I own the place."

"Oh, ok."

He tipped me for the poem and offered me a coffee/drink. I hung around for a bit. An older woman turned to me and said, "You must be a native English speaker. Are you?" to which I, of course, answered that I am. She read my poem and said that no Finnish person can write a poem in English like that unless they did really, really well in school. She and I started talking and she was pretty cool. Turns out she's an English teacher (and her accent indicates that she's originally from the UK). She's also the mother of the guy who ordered the poem from me...I think.

Robert, the dude who ordered the poem, said that I am welcome to come back for a drink at Crush anytime. Maybe I'll take him up on that offer.

It's my dad's last night in Finland, so I'm going to brave the rain and go meet him for a bit. Then I'm going to some event called "A Contract With The Devil," presented by Helsinki10 Concept Store and Anti Sweden. Jeans launch party/swaparoo? The after party is the concert at Tavastia, also featuring Dead Combo.

Christ. Going out in Helsinki is so damn expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment